College of Law > Academics > Experiential Learning > Externship Program > Employer Information
The DePaul University College of Law Externship Program provides 2nd and 3rd year law students with the opportunity to work with judges (federal, state, or administrative), government agencies (federal, state, or local), not-for-profit organizations, and for-profit entities, private law firms and in-house counsel) to enable students to become an integral member of the Externship Site’s legal team. We welcome your interest in hosting a DePaul College of Law student as an Extern.
Current and potential Externship Sites should review the Externship Manual available on this website which will answer almost all of your questions and provide further detail. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the Externship Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Complete Externship Site Application. To become an approved Externship Site, the potential Externship Site must first complete an Externship Site Application applying to be an Externship Site (please see below for the link to the Externship Site Application).
a. The potential Externship Site must meet the minimum criteria for approval. For more information on the minimum criteria, please see Externship Site Minimum Requirements below.
2. Externship Director Follow-Up. After the Externship Director receives the Externship Site Application, the Externship Director will contact the potential Externship Site for a follow-up conference call or in-person meeting to discuss the Externship Site Application and ask and answer any additional questions.
3. Externship Director Approves or Rejects Externship Site Application. After the Externship Director completes the follow-up, the Externship Director will either approve or reject the application to be an Externship Site and will communicate this decision to the potential Externship Site.
4. Externship Site Must Execute Affiliation Agreement. After the potential Externship Site is approved, the Externship Program will send the now-approved Externship Site an Affiliation Agreement for execution. For more information on the Affiliation Agreement, please see Section I.C, ABA REQUIREMENTS, in the Externship Manual available via the links below. The Affiliation Agreement must be executed before the first day of classes.
5. Externship Site Postion is Posted as Approved for Student Applications. After the Externship Site has executed the Affiliation Agreement, the Externship Site will then be listed as an Approved Externship Site for students.
1. Prior Approval. Each Externship Site must be approved by the Externship Director prior to the student beginning work and prior to the student being registered for the Externship.
2. Minimum Number of Attorneys. Each Externship Site must have at least three (3) full-time, licensed attorneys in good standing. There are no exceptions.
3. Externship Site Application. Each Externship Site must complete an Externship Site Application applying to be an Externship Site (please see below for the Externship Site Application).
4. Malpractice Insurance. Each Externship Site must have current malpractice insurance (Note that government entities and judicial chambers are eligible to have this provision waived).
5. Commercial General Liability Insurance. Each Externship Site must have a minimum general liability insurance (Note that government entities and judicial chambers are eligible to have this provision waived.)
6. Designated Externship Site Supervisor
· Each Externship Site must have a designated Externship Site Supervisor for each Extern. A single Supervisor can supervise more than one Extern, but each Extern must be assigned to a designated Supervisor.
a) Externship Site Supervisor Qualifications
· The Externship Site supervisor must be an experienced attorney that is employed on an in-house, full-time basis at the Externship Site.
· Must have practiced for at least five (5) years, and
· Must be currently licensed and in good standing in IL or the jurisdiction where the Externship Site is located (Note that federal placements and those practicing federal law may be able to satisfy this requirement with being currently licensed and in good standing in another state.)
· Must have watched the Externship Supervisor Training Video below.
b) Externship Supervisor Supervision Requirements
· Monitor the Extern’s responsibilities on a regular basis.
· Involve the Extern in meaningful legal work.
· Complete and submit within the required time frame, the two (2) evaluations of the Extern. Externship Sites that fail to comply with this requirement may be prohibited from continued participation in the Externship Program.
· Immediately notify the Externship Director if the Supervisor will no longer supervise an Extern.
7. Affiliation Agreement
· Each Externship Site must execute an Affiliation Agreement prior to the first day of class. If the Affiliation Agreement has not been executed prior to the first day of classes, the student will not be permitted to remain enrolled or earn credit in the Externship Program. For more information on the Affiliation Agreement, please see Section I.C, ABA Requirements in the Externship Manual available via the links below.