College of Law > Academics > Study Abroad > Berlin, Germany > Lodging & Costs

Lodging & Costs

Renovated townhouses in Berlin, Prenzlauer Berg.

Program tuition does not include housing, but Berlin has many housing options in all ranges and most proprietors speak English, making it easy to rent an apartment or reserve hostel or hotel accommodations. Students are responsible for finding and paying for their own accommodations, and are encouraged to finalize housing as soon as possible. DePaul has pre-reserved a limited number of comfortable accommodations that are walking distance to HU-Berlin. These options range from single rooms with access to shared kitchens and baths to 1BR apartments that can be share between 2-3 students. . Once your application is complete, contact the program director, Professor Sumi Cho at DePaul University College of Law at to fill out your housing preference form for one of these DePaul pre-reserved apartments, or to consult about other non-reserved options. The cost of housing depends on whether the student wants a single room or a double or triple share; prices for a share generally range from as low as $600-$1,350 USD for the entire stay (based on Summer 2017 EUR-USD exchange rates). Note that most buildings in Berlin that are not expensive hotels typically do not have air conditioning, but it is not usually needed given the local summer climate. The program may be able to help you find a roommate or roommates. Humboldt University, where classes will be held, is in the Mitte neighborhood, near the Pergamon museum. Popular neighborhoods with good transportation, dining, and nightlife are Prenzlauer Berg, Mitte and Kreuzberg. To get a sense of the market for private apartments in Berlin, here are some useful websites:

Private Apartments

NOTE: In 2014, Berlin passed a new law - Zweckentfremdungsverbot – that restricts private property rentals through Airbnb and similar online platforms in an attempt to keep housing affordable for local people. Please proceed with caution in renting a private apartment, as you may have little recourse as a renter if your rental is unauthorized. Read further information on this new law here.

Hotels and Hostels

The academic and housing facilities in Germany generally meet U.S. standards for handicap access and fire safety. Germany is generally access-friendly to people with disabilities. Humboldt University has a specific webpage to assist people with disabilities attending classes at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Many of the subway stations and public buildings have elevators. Any applicants with special needs should contact DePaul well in advance of departure to ensure that their needs will be met.

Program Costs

Enrolled students should expect to spend approximately the following for the program:

Tuition (5 credit hours, LAW)
$5,125 (LAW)
$600 - $1,900
Meals and Incidentals
Ground Transportation (Monthly pass)
Airfare (approximate)
$900 - $1,800
Program fee
$500 (2017)
Total Cost $8,671 - $10,871
The above costs do not include the cost of additional excursions that students may wish to take.

Travel to Berlin

Airfare: Students must arrange and purchase air transportation between the U.S. and Berlin. DePaul staff will forward information about agencies that specialize in student travel to interested participants.

Passports: Every participant must have a valid passport. U.S. citizens with valid passports do not need visas to enter any member state of the European Union.

Insurance and Liability: DePaul University is not responsible for personal injury or illness or for the loss or damage of property that may occur during the program. Program participants should visit their physician before departure to ensure appropriate immunizations. The program fee does include student health insurance for the duration of the official program.

Persons with Disabilities: Disabled persons should contact the program director to discuss any special needs.

Travel Advisories: Applicants will be notified of any relevant U.S. State Department travel advisories.


Students who have completed one year of studies (full-time or part-time) are encouraged to apply.