College of Law > About > News > Judge Durkin offers tips to new grads at commencement
By DePaul University College of Law /
June 5, 2014 /
Posted in: Alumni News, Student News /
Dean Gregory Mark presented an honorary degree to Northern District
of Illinois Judge Thomas M. Durkin (JD '78), who also delivered the
keynote address offering his best advice to the new law graduates.
Judge Durkin's 10 Tips for DePaul Law Graduates:
1. Remember the habits you learned at DePaul, among them — concentration and excellency.
2. Keep up your health and happiness.
3. Be nice.
4. Be agile, don't limit yourself, embrace the unexpected.
5. Be thankful. As long as your mind works, you can still be a lawyer.
6. Get over yourself!
7. Don't ever regret the choice you made to go to law school.
8. Run a little scared. Excellence and effort will be rewarded, hard work is rewarded with opportunities.
9. Never give up dreaming about your dream job.
10. Remember why the legal profession exists: to help those in need.
Adapted from Durkin's 2014 commencement address.