In addition to a bar examination, there are character,
fitness and other qualifications for admission to the bar in every
U.S. jurisdiction. Applicants are encouraged to determine the
requirements for any jurisdiction in which they intend
to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Addresses for all
relevant agencies are available through the National Conference of Bar
Examiners. Links are available on the National Conference of Bar Examiners website,
Forms for other jurisdictions are also available at www.ncbex.org.
Illinois Bar Exam
- To register for the Illinois bar exam, visit the Illinois Board of Admissions.
- All students must submit an application for admission to the bar in the year they plan to graduate and in the state in which they plan to practice law.
- In Illinois, September 1 is the deadline for the following February bar examination and February 15 for the following July bar examination. For other states, see www.ncbex.org.
Multi-State Professional Responsibility Examination
- Register for the for the Multi-State Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) at www.ncbex.org.
- Most states also require applicants to take the Multi-State Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) in addition to the regular bar exam.
- The MPRE is offered in August, November and March.
- In Illinois, you may sit for the MPRE at any time during or after law school. Most law students take the MPRE in their last year of law school.