International students should be familiar with basic laws affecting their non-immigrant F-1 visa status. The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 places a particular emphasis on the need for international students to take responsibility for maintaining their lawful student status. It is critical that students in F-1 visa status maintain their lawful status throughout their program of study.
SEVIS I-20 Requirements
During the application process, you indicated that you wish to study at DePaul University while on an F1 student non-immigrant visa status. Whether you are transferring from another US educational institution, or are in another country and will apply for a visa at the nearest US consulate or embassy, you will need a SEVIS I-20, or "Certificate of Eligibility", prepared by DePaul University. Before a SEVIS I-20 can be issued, you must submit the following:
- Bank statements: Evidence of adequate funding to meet the estimated US $61,220 tuition and living expenses for your first year of study. Please submit an original bank statement, issued within the last six months, showing a balance of at least $61,220. These funds must be easily accessible (i.e. funds must be in Savings, Checking, Certificate of Deposit, or Money Market accounts). Photocopies or facsimile transmissions will not be accepted. If you have been awarded a scholarship, the yearly amount of that award can be subtracted from the $61,220 amount listed above. For instance, if you have been awarded a $15,000 a year scholarship, you will only need to show $46,220 in funding for your first year of study. Otherwise, you will have to show proof for the entire amount of $61,220.
- Official English translations must accompany any documents that are not in English.
- Affidavit of Support: If you are going to be sponsored, please request that your sponsor complete a Financial Affidavit of Support form: http://international.depaul.edu/Admission/docs/docs/INTERNATIONAL_Affidavit_11-12.pdf. If you have more than one sponsor, each sponsor should fill out a separate form. If you sponsor yourself, you do not need to fill out the Affidavit of Support.
- Copy of the identification page(s) in your passport
- International address: Please send your mailing address in your country of origin.
For "Transfer Pending" or "Change of Status" SEVIS I-20s, please submit the below additional documents:
- Transfer Release Form: Please complete the top section of the Transfer Release Form http://international.depaul.edu/Admission/docs/docs/TRF.doc and have the bottom section completed by the International Student Advisor at your current school (required for "Transfer pending" SEVIS I-20)
- Copy of Old SEVIS I-20 form from your current US school (required for "Transfer pending" SEVIS I-20)
- Copy of the visa page in your passport (required for "Transfer pending" and "Change of Status" SEVIS I-20)
- Copy of I-94 card, front and back (required for "Transfer pending" and "Change of Status" SEVIS I-20s)
We encourage you to submit your financial support documentation as soon as possible. You should obtain a SEVIS I-20 from DePaul before beginning your studies. Your SEVIS I-20 will be prepared and mailed soon after we receive your financial support documentation. Please indicate changes or updates in your address when sending the documentation directly to:
Priscilla C. Miller
Associate Director and Interim Director of Student Records
College of Law
Office of Admission
25 East Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, Illinois 60604-2287 USA
You may contact Ms. Miller directly at 312/362-5277, if you have further questions.
We look forward to you joining the DePaul University community! If you have questions regarding the above or any other matter, we encourage you to call the Office of Admissions at 312/362-6831.